Why contact lenses?
- They are an alternative to glasses regardless of dioptre
- They are aesthetic – not noticed by others
- Field of vision is normal
- Visual acuity is always better than through glasses
- They are comfortable and safe – we don’t feel them, we can’t lose them except absolutely accidentally, by rubbing our eyes aggressively
- Ideal for sports activities
- Can also be used by children
- You can wear sunglasses over them
OFTAPRO has been prescribing contact lenses since 1996. During the 1990s Oftapro was the market leader in the field of special toric contact lenses for aphakia and was the first clinic in Romania to prescribe gas permeable lenses for keratoconus patients. Since then, a period in which contact lenses have also developed enormously in terms of diversity and performance, thousands of our patients started to wear contact lens of various types.
What should a contact lens prescription contain?
They are medically supervised in OFTAPRO. Our conclusion after 25 years of experience is: a well-prescribed contact lens, on a healthy eye, cannot create adaptation problems.
OFTAPRO offers you the widest range of soft and gas-permeable contact lenses on the market, together with their maintenance solutions. The complete range of each of the existing manufacturers on the Romanian market is accessible. In most situations, it is necessary to try the lenses, Oftapro has a huge stock of contact lenses and offer you for a trial contact lenses from: Alcon, Bausch& Lomb, Johnson&Johnson, Cooper Vision, Soflex, Menicon with the possibility to access special lens manufacturers, outside the usual range or special, prosthetic lenses.
With the final prescription the first follow-up check is established.
Don not wear contact lenses without being supervised by a physician, chronic damage and problems can occur and be identified too late!
Not all contact lenses fit everyone and the point of trial and prescribing is to give you the ideal contact lens.
What should contact lenses’ prescription contain?
- Correct dioptre (not the same as that of the glasses at over +/-3.5)
- Radius of curvature and diameter
Oxygen transmissibility and permeability is an important parameter that indicates how much oxygen can pass through the lens towards the eye – the higher it is, the healthier the lens.
Let your physician decide what type of lens is right for you! Based on the material from which they are made and the specific parameters, there are several types of contact lenses:
Soft contact lenses
- CL with frequent replacement – lenses that are worn daily, removed in the evening and replaced with a new pair of lenses at various intervals: one month, 2 weeks, one day (dailies or disposables)
- This type of lens is designed for better eye protection.
- Soft contact lenses worn for a long time tend to collect proteins on their surface (from fingers, eyelids, eyecups) and these proteins become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- By changing lenses as often as possible, we avoid this inconvenience and always have clean lenses on our eyes.
- Daily disposable contact lenses, although more expensive, are an ideal solution because the patient has a new, sterile lens on their eye every day.
- Extended wear contact lenses overlap the category described above to a large extent – these lenses can also be worn at night, according to the indications of the manufacturer.
- They are lenses made of special materials with increased oxygen transmissibility
- Physicians, however, recommend removing the lens at night and accept the idea of occasional overnight wear. Patients who do not remove their lenses at night should be watched very carefully as they are most likely to suffer serious complications.
MAINTENANCE OF SOFT CONTACT LENSES
One of the important conditions for wearing contact lenses is to follow the rules of care:
- Maintaining hygiene of hands, cassette, maintenance solutions is a major condition to avoid infectious complications
- Nowadays there are maintenance solutions with multiple roles: disinfection, rinsing, preservation, enzymatic deproteinization, lubrication.
- The solution is suggested by the ophthalmologist or optician depending on the type of lens, allergies to certain products.
- Daily use lenses require no maintenance solutions
DO NOT USE SOLUTIONS OTHER THAN THOSE INTENDED FOR SOFT LENS CARE!
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE SALINE SOLUTION INSTEAD OF THESE SOLUTIONS!
Rigid gas permeable (RGP or GP) contact lenses
They are generally indicated for two special situations:
- Keratoconus correction (day lenses)
- Orthokeratology for myopia evolution control (night lens)
They can be prescribed for any refractive error but they are not very popular in Romania.
- They are made of silicone-acrylate polymers, a semi-rigid material
- They are smaller in diameter than soft lenses, resting on the cornea.
- Fitting the hard lens is slightly more difficult
- Lens removal is performed with a special pump
- They have the quality of allowing oxygen and carbon dioxide to pass through the lens.
Their major advantage is their very high oxygen permeability and the fact that they do not cover the entire corneal surface. On the other hand, however, they are more prone to bacterial infections, especially in the case of night lenses.
Colored contact lenses
- They are still soft lenses. They can be dioptre-free or dioptre-coloured (they can correct myopia or hyperopia and change eye colour at the same time). Coloured contact lenses are not available for all types of dioptres.
There are several categories of coloured lenses:
- Lenses that subtly change eye colour and give a natural look
- Lenses that strengthen the original eye colour and result in a colour in the same range (recommended for people with light eye colour)
- Lenses that obviously change the original colour.
- Coloured lenses with contour
We offer you blue, sapphire-blue, green, green-turquoise, purple, grey and brown lenses.